Geography of Hate - Crowdsourcing Tech Plots out Most Aggressive Areas With Racist, Homophobic and Ableist Tweets
Just a month or two ago I highlighted a site that kept count of homophobic language on Twitter. Floating Sheep’s visualization of hatred is extremely powerful.
Outside of the obvious social views on this map, what is most interesting from a pure technology perspective is how Twitter is consistently looked to (above all other networks) to take the pulse of a country.
This advances my theory that artificial lighting is attracted to hate.
It could also be that those brighter areas have more twitter users per capita than the darker areas. Like, not that the darker areas are less homophobic but rather that there are just less twitter users period.
That was actually the (sarcastic) point of showing the night view… this thing looks a lot like a population density map of the United States. Like, it’s not a perfect match, but anything that’s opaque on the “hate map” is going to be a major population center.
It is interesting that there’s less hate than population in California, though. Like, yeah — this is more “THIS IS WHERE PEOPLE LIVE” than anything, but the discrepancies are still notable.
the thing about the CA map is that the San Fransisco Bay Area—a very densely populated area—is very “cool;” the “hot spot” is more around Sacramento/Bakersfield, which is ACCURATE. also, notice the LA/San Diego area—very densely populated, virtually no hate tweets. innnnteresting.
Yeah, the part in CA is very accurate… .I’m sure a good portion of that coloring is from my area. I’m insanely shocked by Nevada though…
If you go to the actual map, it explains that they normalized for population. You can see the hate tweets broken down by slur and those don’t look like the US population spread at all.They also controlled for someone tweeting in an educational manner by having students read every tweet and rate it pos/neg/neutral based on a rubric. Only negative tweets were included in the maps.
- hardcore0emily likes this
- nominanescio likes this
- willsmiff reblogged this from festivearr
- festivearr reblogged this from labians
- sseatbelthandss likes this
- excessmelatonin reblogged this from labians
- labians reblogged this from iseulttoinjury
- iseulttoinjury reblogged this from npr
- auragoddess likes this
- ladyformaldehyde likes this
- forwardthinkingeducation reblogged this from npr and added:
- athinkingmanspufferfish reblogged this from wilwheaton
- teltnuag reblogged this from fastcompany
- poeticweakling likes this
- uncoverythediscovery reblogged this from talesfromthechickpea
- talesfromthechickpea reblogged this from ellisv and added:
- ellisv reblogged this from reasonedoverreaction
- donkeyvicks reblogged this from npr
- omfgitsbmiddguize reblogged this from wholetjackdrive and added:
- nigeldogeberry likes this
- samashies reblogged this from millyclaire
- millyclaire reblogged this from queerfemalemathematician
- queerfemalemathematician reblogged this from anonymous-physicist
- therainwontlastforeverandever likes this
- christmascaroleesi reblogged this from saaaaaasha
- mmilk-steak likes this
- starveforbones reblogged this from actbecomestheartofgrowingup
- scribblershollow reblogged this from alreadyinmotion
- tomjones222 likes this
- awesomeocelot reblogged this from redpantsaddict and added:
- andunie reblogged this from npr
- tclessthanthree reblogged this from fastcompany
- sophiamonkey18 likes this
- travellyr reblogged this from charnanigans
- thankgoodnessforme reblogged this from two-tickets-to-paradise
- rollmywindowsdownandkrug reblogged this from callingoutbigotry
- darkmay12 reblogged this from enorjy
- revisionof reblogged this from howstuffworks and added:
- adventuresofaphysicsgradstudent reblogged this from wilwheaton
- jenwa8 reblogged this from fastcompany and added:
- hanksathome likes this
- aspirebliss likes this
- knightsatwar likes this
- knightsatwar reblogged this from joga-luce
- berliniam reblogged this from npr and added:
- zazzlez reblogged this from joga-luce
- joga-luce reblogged this from callingoutbigotry
- yamamama reblogged this from 221blanketfort